What is Yoga Therapy?
Yoga therapy is employed to address the root cause of an issue and relieve its symptoms. For this reason, Yoga Therapy is a one on one practice customized to you, your lifestyle, current health situation, geographic location, age, culture and more.
A set of tools and techniques, mindfully picked and tailored to you, in order to empower you to progress towards improved health and well-being.
A diagnostic is not a life sentence & does not define you. Access healing through deeper awareness of yourself.
Yoga Therapy encompasses traditional yoga practices (physical movements, mindful breathing, meditation, philosophy), Ayurvedic principles (lifestyle and diet), and modern medical and psychological knowledge. It is a holistic modality.
This article details the difference between Yoga and Yoga Therapy.
Who is it for?
One size does NOT fit all. You are Unique. That is why every technique offered is carefully selected to address your specific situation.
Let’s take the example of Parkinson’s disease:
- Student 1: Paul, 63 years old, retired with 2 children and 1 grandkid, living in Toronto diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease 4 years ago.
- Student 2: Anna, 37 years old, 3 younger children, living in a rural town near Edmonton with early onset Parkinson’s disease since 2 years.
The Yoga Therapy support they will receive will be very different, even though they are both living with the same disease. This is because Yoga Therapy takes into consideration many factors and is based on the individual and not the disease.
Individuals who are dealing with debilitating conditions, degenerative diseases and/or pain that prevents them to enjoy life as they used to will benefit from Yoga Therapy sessions. You will learn and implement techniques that allows you to regain control over your health and/or some level of autonomy.
In some cases, we get rid of the condition and in other, we improve or maintain the current state.
You could benefit from Yoga Therapy if you are suffering from or affected by chronic, progressive or debilitating conditions such as:
- Adrenal Fatigue / Burnout
- Arthritis and Joint Pain
- Asthma & Respiratory Issues
- Anxiety and Depression
- Cancer support & Recovery
- Chronic Pain
- Chronic Stress
- Chronic Headache / Migraine
- Digestive Issues, IBS, IBD, GERD
- Electrical Injuries
- Eating Disorders
- Herniated Disks
- High Blood Pressure
- Hormonal Issues
- Insomnia, Narcolepsy
- Joint Replacements / Surgery Recovery
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Scoliosis, Back Pain
- Stroke Recovery
- Thyroid issues
- Trauma Recovery / PTSD
At dedebee Yoga Therapy, I have special interest in :
Trauma & mental health issues
What to expect?
Over the course of our work together you will learn tools and techniques to:
- Safely maintain & improve your mobility,
- Reduce anxiety & brain fog,
- Manage or eliminate bloating & digestive discomforts,
- Learn to relax & work through past/present traumas,
- Enhance your sleep (length & quality),
- And overall become able to navigate through the symptoms as they come up.
You will receive ongoing one-one-one support to ensure your consistent progress towards your wellness goals.
You begin with one of the three Programs available:
Starter Program of 3 weekly private yoga therapy sessions. See Yoga Therapy Programs page for Package details.
Longevity Program of 8 private yoga therapy sessions scheduled once a week for the next 2 months. See Yoga Therapy Programs page for package details.
Continuity Program of 12 private yoga therapy sessions scheduled once a week for the next 3 months. See Yoga Therapy Programs page for package details.
For each Program, I recommend to leave extra time after the Initial Assessment (the 1st session) just in case we need to go overtime (I like to end when you are comfortable and not rush through because of a clock). The Initial Assessment includes:
- Comprehensive Intake: a detailed assessment of your health history, current treatments and medications, current physical, mental and emotional states. This is the foundation on which we will design your practice to overcome your concerns.
- Postural assessment: you will be guided through simple and specific targeted movements while standing, lying down on your belly and lying down on your back (if accessible).
- Yoga Therapy Practice: each practice is tailored to suit your specific needs, capabilities, goals, and life circumstances.
- Bespoke home-practice handout: you will be provided an accompanying diagram of the practice to be done at home in between our sessions.
Your personalized home practice may include:
- Diet & lifestyle recommendations,
- Breathing techniques,
- Individualized physical movements,
- Deep tissue body work,
- Meditation & relaxation practice,
- Use of sounds…
After the intensive weekly Program, you will have established a routine for your daily practice. Whether it is 10 minutes, 2 x 15 minutes per day, or more, you will possess the foundations for the rest of the work. You will then be able to book Follow Up Sessions. Those sessions can be spaced out monthly or every 6 weeks, we will decide together according to your progress and your needs.
Yoga Therapy is a complementary system of health, not an alternative one. It supports and works in conjunction with your normal medical treatments, and I ask that continue your personal health routine as suggested by your doctor or medical professional.
For more information, read our FAQ.